Thursday, September 5, 2013

My very own DIY

Any penny-pinching college students out there will appreciate this post!
Today's DIY is how to make nasty, cheap tuna-you-accidentally-bought-in-oil-when-you-meant-to-get-in-light-water-but-you-cant-afford-to-throw-away a little easier to get past the ol' taste buds.
It helps if you made spaghetti the night before and you have left-over cooked pasta.
First, melt
a table spoon or so of butter in a saucepan. Keep the heat low, and add about a 
1/4 cup of sour cream in with it and stir till it's blended together in a nice creamy mixture. Then add
Whatever Italian seasonings you have. I had basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme (if either of these are in leaves form and not ground, grind them up in a mug with a wooden spoon handle so you don't feel like you're crunching on twigs when you eat this) and then some onion powder, (because I love that stuff and I put it on pretty much everything. Onions are wonderful things for adding flavor.) I also added some
Crazy Jane's Mixed up seasoning, but you could go with any seasoned salt, or just garlic salt.
Let that cook on the lowest heat setting for a bit while you fight with an ancient can-opener to get this thing of oily garbage open. Press as much of the oil out as possible, as, this is the prime source of foul-ness.
Now heat up your left-over noodles in the microwave so your sauce doesnt have to take the time to do it. Because you're a college student. You are hungry, and in a hurry. Always. Now would be the time to tear up some
baby spinach, if you happen to have it laying around, and the mood suits you, and add that. It doesn't add hardly any flavor, and then you can say you ate your veggies for the day. Add hot noodles gradually, and stop when the sauce-to-noodle-ratio is such that all the noodles are well coated in the sauce, but there's just a little bit excess left to coat the offending tuna. Add as much as you can to the sauce, tasty occasionally, without letting that flavor take over the whole dish. You are trying to HIDE the tuna flavor, and DISGUISE it as some kind of alfredo-y fishy olive-garden cuisine.
I was able to get about two thirds of a can in there before the sauce had had enough. The only other thing I added at the end was
pepper, but I guess you could put it in at any time; you don't have to wait till the end like I did. But I also think it looks pretty with all the pepper on top.

The fact that I ate it all before I thought to take a picture for a blog post should be proof enough that it was good, without photographic evidence. But if you must know, it looked something like this:


Except with more white sauce ( I had foul tuna to cover up, 'member?) and spaghetti noodles instead of fettuccine ( I'm a college student. Just be glad I didn't use Ramen) (Although, if you use Ramen, let me know how it turns out! Anyway to make cheaper meals is good with me!)

Be Thankful, Sarah

No comments: